Thursday, March 4, 2010

Snow news is good news?

I was snowshoeing recently and as I stopped to cross this stream, I thought about how enjoyable it was to experience this area during the winter -- no crowds, no bugs, no dry place to sit and rest.  I wondered why so many people complain about winter or travel south to avoid it altogether.  A week after this outing, the chilly reality set in.  A snowstorm accompanied by high winds deposited three feet of snow across my driveway.  I had to shovel to get into my driveway when I got home from work, then had to shovel to get out of my driveway the next day to go to work again.  Of course you could point out that the real problem was the going to work part.  Had I retired as originally planned, I could have stayed indoors and watched from the warmth and comfort of my house as the snow fell outside, with no nagging sense of having to be somewhere else.  It has always been good advice that when you enjoy something, you should enjoy it best in moderation.  This holds true for winter weather.  I enjoyed my time snowshoeing, but enough is enough.  Three feet of snow drifting in faster than I can shovel it out is not moderation.  Soon it will be spring and I will turn my attention to fishing and turkey hunting.  I'm only guessing, mind you, but I think I'll be able to tolerate much more fishing and turkey hunting before I reach a saturation point beyond moderation.  

No comments: